Fuet made without any preservatives, dyes, taste enhancers, who could explain how they achieved that?

gastronomas

Fuet made without any preservatives, dyes, taste enhancers, who could explain how they achieved that?

Post by gastronomas » Tue Jan 14, 2020 21:17

Hello guys,

El pozo fuetec sausage:

https://www.elpozo.com/en/products/fuetec/

https://www.spanische-bodega.de/spanisc ... i-150g.php

Ingredients: Iberico pork, Iberian pork bacon, LACTOSE, table salt, corn glucose syrup, corn dextrose, spices, natural pork intestine.
160g pork is used for 100g end product.

Nutritional values ​​(per 100 g):
Calories: 430.5 Kcal / 1,815.0 kJ
Fat: 35.5 g of
which saturated acids: 12.4 g of
carbohydrates: 4.0 g of
which sugar: 3.0 g of
protein: 25.5 g
Salt: 4.0 g

Product made without any preservatives (E250, E252), has very good, bright red color, mild good taste.No coloring and etc. Who could explain how they achieved that?

Thank you
redzed

Re: Fuet made without any preservatives, dyes, taste enhancers, who could explain how they achieved that?

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 19:47

Difficult to say without seeing the process. However, there probably is some fermentation involved with that amount of sugars and enzymatic activity from naturally occurring Staphylococcus bacteria. The ingredients state "spices" which could include paprika which adds red colour. Traditional fuet does not contain paprika but many mass producers do use it.
Butterbean

Re: Fuet made without any preservatives, dyes, taste enhancers, who could explain how they achieved that?

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jan 18, 2020 01:21

Don't believe table salt in Spain is the same as it is in North America. Table salt there, I believe, is typically sea salt. It was in the news a while back as having micro-plastics in it. Plastics aside, you can read where it contains 80 other nutrients of which some are surely nitrates. If I were going to risk making something without the use of nitrates I'd definitely use a raw unrefined sea salt and preferably one with having a labelled analysis as some do.